Popular Lettings in Charente
Most popular in Charente
Prices and availability
Things to know about the Charente
A holiday rental in Charente, a historical stay
Come and discover the beauty of the Charente
The city of Angoulême in Charente-Maritime hosts the international comic strip festival every year
Top 5 must-see sites in Charente
1. The Charente River. There is no better way to discover the Charente than to follow its river. The Charente river welcomes you for a cruise from Angoulême to Saint Savinien, to discover the region's riches. Discover the castle of Saint-Brice, the city of Saintes with its Gallo-Roman remains and the city of Cognac with its port and distilleries. All this is punctuated by the locks you will pass through. A cruise that encourages relaxation and cultural discovery.
2. The production of Cognac. The Charente region, because of its direct proximity to Bordeaux, has also been able to take advantage of the richness of its land. And if Bordeaux has its wine, then Charente has its cognac. This brandy produced around the city of the same name is exported all over the world and it is always very interesting to discover the manufacturing process that surrounds it. Come and meet the many distilleries in the Cognac region and learn more about the secrets of this millenary eau-de-vie.
3. Angoulême, the comic book capital. Angoulème is one of these cities, such as Brussels, which can boast of having seen the birth of the 9th art. We are talking here about comics and with a pool of cartoonists and cartoon studios, the city is not to be outdone in terms of imagination. The image capital also has a museum dedicated to the glory of comic strips and a centre dedicated to images. The city also hosts the International Comic Strip Festival every year.
4. Prehistory in Charente. The Charente is a major historical centre and you can visit lots of caves and other museums dedicated to Neolithic culture. Prehistory is fascinating and will delight young and old alike to discover our common ancestors. Discover our distant past in one of Charente's many archaeological sites.
5. The Castles and Fortresses of Charente The Charente is not to be missed. And there are many castles that you can discover during your holidays. Among them, we can mention the one of Bourg Archambault, a beautiful 15th century fortress or the Château d'Hacourt which is a 13th century fortified castle. The latter is the best preserved in the region and perhaps even in France.