Popular Lettings in Salento
Most popular in Salento
Prices and availability
All you need to know about Salento
Holidays in Salento - the holiday letting of dreams in a dream place
The Salento region is the southernmost part of the political region Apulia but also the easternmost part of Italy. The city of Otranto is only 72 km from the Albanian coast. The Salento peninsula is washed by the waters of the Mediterranean Sea and those of the Adriatic Sea. Ideally Salento is known as the area bounded by the cities of Taranto, Brindisi and Leuca.
How to get there: Holidaymakers arriving by plane prefer Bari airport to Brindisi airport, although this is closer to their final destination. This is due to the fact that the first offers, once landed, better land connections, especially rail.
By national trains you can reach the city of Lecce, from where you can then continue to your destination by regional trains or buses. In summer (June-September) the municipality also provides a transport service that serves as a link between the various seaside resorts, otherwise difficult to reach. For those who choose to go on holiday by car, the motorways of interest are the A14 and A16 that lead to Bari, a place where it is advisable to leave the toll area and then continue south on roads not subject to payment. It is also possible to reach Salento by bus.
Cuisine, history, architecture. Salento does not only offer beautiful beaches.
The land of Salento is increasingly renowned for spending your summer holidays there. But have you ever thought about picking her out for a spring break? It is here that the vast flora of the place offers its best spectacle: the plants are in bloom, and the chromatic panorama has no equal. The first to blossom are the almond trees, which dye the landscape pink, then strong comes the presence of the red colour due to the abundance of poppies, and towards the end of the season are the olive trees the protagonists of the scene with their countless white flowers. White is also the predominant colour in small coastal and rural villages. The architectural landscape is characterised by small buildings painted only white, which inevitably lead the mind back to the typical scenarios of Greece.
In the western part of the peninsula you will find some of the favourite places for holidays. At Lecce, on the coast, there is the small town of Porto Cesareo. The resort is ideal for those who want to relax and for those who want to do sports. Kitesurfing and snorkeling to admire the rich seabed are the preferred activities for those who decide to rent their holiday letting here. But the real attractions are certainly the long beaches of fine white sand that blend with the clear waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
From here, heading north on the coast, you can reach the idyllic towns of Torre Lapillo first and Punta Prosciutto then. Further south, on the same coast, is the town of Gallipoli, a popular destination for younger audiences. The Salento nightlife is well known throughout Italy, and that is why many young people decide to rent a holiday letting here. There are also beautiful beaches and the historiccentre, known for the prestigious Cathedral of St. Agatha of Gallipoli.
If the east coast of Salento attracts your attention, book your holiday letting directly on the beaches of Torre dell'Orso on Holidu. A beautiful and thick pine forest overlooking the beach will be an excellent opportunity for a nap away from the sun, while in the evening you can let yourself go on the folklore notes of the pizzica, traditional dance of Salento. Not to be missed are the legendary rock of the two sisters and the watchtower at the top of a cliff.
It is said that in the past, during the agitated nights of storm, witches came out of the many caves on the coast of Salento, waving torches to be noticed by those who were bathing. Those who trusted themselves to approach were forced to dance with them in the middle of the storm, until they died.
5 things to do in Salento: one of the most beautiful holiday resorts in Italy
1. Along the entire Salento coast there are numerous natural caves caused by karst phenomena that are not only beautiful, but are also characterised by an important historical value. In the past, they were used as a refuge by fishermen, but also by sailors passing through. The best known is probably the flashy cave of Zinzulusa, but like all the more famous attractions it is also the most crowded. That's why we recommend that you head to lesser-known but still beautiful caves.
2. The Alimini Lakes are a protected oasis near Otranto. Two lakes joined together by a strait that will surprise you with their diversity: one is made up of salt water, the other is fresh. A canoe trip is ideal to appreciate the peculiarity.
3. In the southern part of the Salento peninsula, situated on top of a hill, is the town of Specchia. Recognized in 2013 as a "jewel of Italy", it is also part of the circle that brings together the "most beautiful villages in Italy". It is a true medieval architectural gem that will leave you speechless.
4. If food is your passion, but even if it is not, you must absolutely be amazed by the cuisine of Salento: taste the excellent dishes of fresh fish maybe accompanied by a good glass of Primitivo, the famous DOC wine of the area. While strolling through the narrow streets of Salento, you should also try the rustic ones: savoury pies baked in the oven and stuffed with béchamel sauce, tomato, mozzarella and pepper. A goodness!
5. The area is literally covered with olive groves. Needless to say, it's absolutely worth it to have a good supply of local oil before returning home from the holidays. Soaps that are created by using the waste resulting from the processing of oil are also highly recommended.
How do I find a holiday rental in Salento that's perfect for me?
Holidu offers you a wide choice of rentals, villas, houses for your holidays in Salento. With the help of the simple search function you can quickly and easily book the accommodation that best suits your tastes and needs. Enter the dates you are interested in, the number of people staying and the location you want.
You can also choose how the property you are looking for should be equipped: swimming pool, Internet access and air conditioning? Is your pet travelling with you? Do you want to make sure that the accommodation is free of structural barriers? No problem! Check the boxes corresponding to the characteristics you want and you will be able to see all the houses in Salento that reflect your needs!