Popular Lettings in Chiavari
Most popular in Chiavari
Prices and availability
Holiday rentals in Chiavari
Chiavari has rentals and villas suitable for different types of guests. The accommodations are equipped with every kind of comfort and often include a convenient parking. Many rentals accept pets and some are equipped to be used comfortably even by people with disabilities.
The holiday rentals in Chiavari, in the hinterland or along the coast, are designed to allow everyone to find the accommodation that best suits their needs. From comfortable rooms with kitchens to large villas with swimming pools, from two-roomed flats to historic mansions with several bedrooms, with terraces overlooking the sea or gardens with barbecues, they will win over even the most demanding guest.
Holiday in Chiavari
Location and orientation
Chiavari, in provincia di Genova, is one of the main municipalities of the Gulf of Tigullio, a portion of the Riviera Ligure di Levante that extends from the Punta di Portofino to Punta Manara.
The beaches of Chiavari are both free and equipped and are suitable for children thanks to the barrier of rocks that allows the water to be always calm. The promenade on the seafront is beautiful in all seasons and is home to many clubs, bars and ice cream parlours.
Travellers and related activities
Those who stay in Chiavari can go and discover places where the sea and nature create wonderful landscapes. Less than half an hour's drive away you will find Sestri Levante, with its beautiful and evocative Bay of Silence and Bay of Fables, or Moneglia and Deiva Marina with their beautiful white sandy beaches. Similarly, from Chiavari you can easily reach, by land or by sea, famous and spectacular places such as Rapallo, Portofino, Santa Margherita Ligure and Cinque Terre.
The hinterland of Chiavarese consists of some valleys with villages of great historical and natural interest. The 13th century Malaspina Castle, the ski slopes and woodland routes, the San Salvatore di Cogorno with the Basilica dei Fieschi or the manganese mines are just some of the pearls of the area.
Visiting Chiavari means getting in touch both with the linen creations worked in Macramè and with the Chiavarina Chair which, born at the beginning of the 19th century, is an icon of elegance and functionality and which had among its admirers also the sculptor Antonio Canova. In Lorsica, one of the towns in the Fontanabuona valley, in addition to slate, Damascus is also worked, while silk and velvet reign in Zoagli. The valleys of Chiavarese are also treasure troves of delicacies, such as Corzetti (fresh pasta in the shape of a medallion with decorations printed with wooden moulds), oil from the Petronius Valley, lard from Castiglione Chiavarese or cheeses from the Aveto Valley.
Chiavari is mentioned by Dante in the Divine Comedy: in the Canto XIX del Purgatorio, he meets the soul of Pope Adrian IV who describes Lavagna, the city where he was born, saying "Intra Siestri e Chiaveri s'adima una fiumana bella". The beautiful river is the Entella river, natural border between the two towns.
Top 4 travel tips
The historiccentre of the city, formed by medieval buildings, is characterised by arcades that flank both the main artery, known as Caruggio Dritto, dating from the second half of the fourteenth century, and the adjacent streets. The buildings are decorated in the Genoese style, while the porticoes, built with waste materials and capitals all different from each other, had the particularity of delimiting a property (if square) or serve as a structural support (if round). The many shops under the arcades, often frescoed and with original decorations, host different types of goods and ancient traditions as the sellers of gachas.
It is a palace of 1400, in Gothic style, located at the foot of the Castle of Chiavari and the medieval walls. Its name derives from the particular dark colour of the porticoes and it still preserves the facade with alternating bands of white marble and black slate.
The Palazzo Rocca was built at the beginning of 1600 on a project by the architect Bartolomeo Bianco at the behest of the Marquises Costaguta. The original garden was transformed into the current botanical park at the beginning of 1900, while the structure is home to the archaeological museum (with the findings found in the Chiavarese necropolis and other excavations of Tigullio) and the Civic Gallery, which includes important works by the Genoese, Flemish and Spanish schools including a remarkable Still Life by Jan Roos and The Charity of San Lorenzo by Bernardo Strozzi.
This theatre is a real jewel of architecture. Built at the end of the twenties as a theatre and cinema, it has a decorative apparatus - perfectly preserved together with the original furnishings - that interweaves neoclassical and liberty forms, gilding and stucco, Genoese floors in polychrome grit and marble. The balance between theatrical structures (the stages as in the Italian theatre) and cinema (the cavee) is really interesting and brings back to the eclectic style typical of the period.